STAAR Test Maker Reading features passages for grades 3 through 8 and ELA I, II, and III. Passages and test items are created in-house by a team of experienced assessment writers and editors specifically for Texas. The Reading section offers the following special features:
- Test items are grade-level appropriate and primarily assess one Student Expectation.
- Item bank covers ALL Readiness and Supporting Standards for each grade and skill area, including vocabulary, media literacy, rhetorical techniques, poetic forms, and literary devices.
- Item bank also includes passages and items for more difficult Expectations, such as those covering myths, epic poems, and rhetorical fallacies
- Item bank includes all Reading Passage Types found on STAAR exams:
- Free verse
- User Manuals
- Craft Projects
- Test items are specifically written to match STAAR formatting and style, and vocabulary conforms to EDL grade levels.
- Paired passages are available for each grade, and they include a broad range of topics, such as “Anne Frank,” “Extreme Sports,” and “Women Writers.”
- Test items are selectable by DOK, Lexile, Word Count, Dale-Chall, Spache, and more.
- Passages and test items undergo rigorous review and revision to keep them current, relevant, and free of bias—scenarios are inclusive across gender, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion.
- Passages often include numerous graphics and corresponding questions about tone, formality, audience, message, and medium.
- Writers and editors follow Texas Education Agency item-creation guidelines.